Pop Music Mood Board


Pop Music Mood Board.


A mood board is 'an arrangement of images, materials, pieces of text, etc. intended to evoke or project a particular style or concept.' - Oxford Dictionary.

I have created a mood board in order to give me inspiration when creating, developing and producing my music video. This mood board reflects the theme of 'Pop Music'.  I chose this theme as it is the type of music I listen to and enjoy.

The colour theme of my mood board is neon pinks, purples, greens and blues. This makes the piece eye-catching and pleasing to the eye as the colours go together well.

I have included logos such as the MTV and Spotify logo. I included these image to help add pops of colour to my mood board, these logos are also popular ways to listen to music and watch the music videos.

I have selected most of my images as they feature on the Vodafone Top Charts, these are the most popular songs that are being listen to this month. These songs are popular amongst teens and are also listen to by many adults as they constantly feature on a variety of radio stations such as Radio 1 and Capital FM.

These images were carefully selected as I wanted to show how modern day pop music can express different feeling, opinions and stories, as well as selecting certain videos that have creative visual effects.   For example:

Silence- This song was produced by DJ Marshmello and featured the American singer and songwriter Khalid.
I selected this image due to the meaning of the video and lyrics, we seen a group of teenagers hanging out and having fun, they then travel on bikes that are lit with neon lights. They travel around different areas in which people are having issues with their lives such as a women receiving an eviction notice, a boy has to listen to his parents constantly arguing and another boy is getting arrest, each of the troubled characters see the group travel by. 
The neon bikes soon stop and the group decorate the city with neon paints and light, each of the troubled teens soon find peace in the darkness by witnessing the neon art work. The video is trying to represent that troubled people can find peace in something and that there will always be a light in the dark.
The lyrics reflect the visuals as they express to the audience that the narrator is going through hard and tough times making him feel weak, he then shuts himself off from the world and becomes lonely. Yet the narrator is able to find 'peace in your violence', meaning that the narrator overcame his fears and troubles, and then was able to become more confident and no longer felt trapped by the silence.
The visuals are also very executing and creative, first they use a retro VHS camera to film some of the video, and this is to grab your attention from the start creating a more unique look. By using a more retro look it give the video more individuality as most music videos now-a-days use high definition cameras.
The video also used a variety of different coloured neon lights to make the video brighter and more eye-catching. The video is filmed in the night by using the neon lights at this time it makes them seem brighter and more colourful brightening the video and the use of the lights also creates the story line as they represent hope.

Be The One - This song is by the English singer Dua Lipa. The song is based around self-belief, perseverance and fighting for what people want, Dua Lipa explained "it’s about a relationship, but really, this is an attitude I try to bring into everything in my life.
In the music video it feature Dua Lipa singing to her song lyrics, she travels through the streets of London and during the chorus is clapping along to the beat of the song. The songs is about young love and how people in a relationship make mistakes and want a second chance, it is a very upbeat song featuring different neon colours in the music video.
The reason I choose to put this on my mood board is because near the end of the video they use a kaleidoscope effect where Dua Lipa multiplies, i really like the use of this editing because it makes the video seem more light hearted and unique rather than a typical sad song about love and heart break.
Overall i believe that i might use this type of feature in my music video to make a sad moment seem more fun and upbeat rather than dull and depressing. I could also use the use of the neon light around London and outside shop windows to add colour to my music video so that if I chose an upbeat then I am then able to make a music video have an upbeat story as the vibrant pop of colour makes the music video more memorable as well as exciting.
I have also included Images of Madonna and Michael Jackson also feature on my mood board as I wanted those image to help me represent the development in pop music and also show how their music is still well known and influencing people today.

Conclusion:
To conclude, from this page I have learnt that many music videos are based around a story about certain topics in life e.g. violence, love, money etc. This has inspired me to create a music video that is inspired by an issue in life, allowing the public to connect with the video and the story it is telling.
As i watch may videos to allow me to select images, this has taught me to ensure that the visuals of my video match with the lyrics and story of the song I will select. This is to ensure that the message of the video comes across strongly to the viewer so they are able to understand the story.
If I were to improve my mood board I may have wanted to shrink my images down to allow to fit in more images and inspiration, for example i could have included the YouTube logo as this is the website that i will air and allow people to watch my music video.


I could have also used more images from newspapers and magazines such as the Rolling Stones and Billboard to expand my research and allow me to use more materials from different Medias. 












Comments

  1. Lauren this is amazing! You have used so much inspiration and different media to create a broad and in-depth moodboard, with a researched aesthetic and a clear understanding of your task which will greatly benefit you with your vision of your own music video. Researching different artists has helped you take ideas from their videos yet these concepts can be used to blend with your own ideas, making your project unique. How could you take your ideas further; are there any key ideas that you are mostly interested in involving in your own video?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all the positive feedback! I think I would like to include a bright colour theme, this was inspired by watching the Silence music video. I also would like to have my video contain a theme such as issues that people go through in today's society, to allow people to connect with the video.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant - I look forward to seeing your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. musica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these mood boards can be developed easily if you use mood board making templates. Because they consist with different aspects which are relevant in developing mood boards.draw mood boards easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment